UFC 168 brought MMA fans a rematch that fans have eagerly awaited since the summer. Months ago Chris Weidman “shocked” the MMA world by knocking out the KO king, Anderson “the Spider” Silva. In that fight Silva showed little respect, keeping his hands down and feigning injury – he paid for that “clowning” with his middleweight crown. This is the first time a new middleweight champion had been crowned in nearly seven years. Think about that. Since dethroning Rich Franklin in October 2006, Silva has been untouchable – amassing a 16-0 UFC record.
After the loss, Silva claimed to be refocused, dedicated and ready for another dominant run. However, no one could see the ending of this main event coming. Many thought Silva would win by KO, others thought a similar fate would come at the hand of champion Weidman. However, fans would be horrified as “the Spider” would throw a leg kick that would result in his own leg snapping in half. Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg quickly made the comparison to career ending injury of Joe Theisman.
Although I wish him a speedy recovery, I can’t help but think we have seen the end of an illustrious career. If indeed Anderson Silva needs to hang up his gloves he will go down as one of – if not the – greatest MMA fighters of all time.
Let’s take a look at the milestones of “The Spider”:
- 33 Wins, 6 Losses. Of those wins 20 by KO/TKO, 6 submissions, 7 decisions.
- Former Shooto Middleweight Championship
- Former Cage Rage Middleweight Championship
- Former UFC Middleweight Championship
- Unified UFC Middleweight and Pride FC Welterweight Championship (defeated Dan Henderson post UFC-Pride merger)
- Longest UFC title reign (2457 days)
- Fight of the Night (Three times)
- Submission of the Night (Two times)
- Most Knockout of the Night Awards in the UFC (Seven times)
- Tied (Joe Lauzon) for all-time leader in Post-fight Bonus Awards (12)
- Most consecutive title defenses (10)
- Most successful title defenses (10)
- Tied (Georges St-Pierre) for most wins in UFC title fights (11)
- Most finishes in UFC title fights (9)
- Most finishes in the UFC (14)
- Most consecutive wins in the UFC (16)
- Longest win streak in UFC history (16)
- Highest significant strike accuracy in UFC (67.8%)
- Most knockdowns landed in UFC History (17)
- Tied (Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture) for third most wins in the UFC (16)
If this is it, thank you for a highlight reel career Anderson Silva.