Wow. A guy disappears for a few days and the entire MMA world goes crazy! Since I was out last week at a conference the following has transpired:
- Brock Lesnar has become an author. Yes, you read that correctly. While I was out, Lesnar began the PR push for his new autobiography “DeathClutch.” The book is co-written by pro wrestling promoter Paul Heyman so we know it won’t be over the top…
- The STRIKEFORCE heavyweight tournament began not with a bang, but a whimper. Two of the “stars” that were supposed to climb the tournament fell and fell hard. Fedor and Arlovski are now in the dreaded “Should I still fight?” conversation… This is yet another reason I constantly state the organization is better served growing young, new talent.
- BJ Penn has started training with Matt Hughes. Yes, you read that correctly too. After 3 epic battles Hughes & Penn have become Balboa and Creed, training together. I personally love this aspect of the sport. I haven’t been this excited for foes become friends since Rich Franklin tapped Anderson Silva in his training for Wanderlei Silva.
- Gina Carano has returned to MMA! Finally, I’m glad someone listens to me. I think the sport definitely needs her and her presence will indeed inspire some other athletes to step up and take on the mantle of the next big women’s MMA star.
- Kenny Florian drops to Featherweight. After two failed attempts at the 155 lb apple Boston’s Kenny “KenFlo” Florian will take another weight cut to join the 145 lb ranks. After seeing the destruction Jose Aldo has left in his wake, g’luck Kenny.
- Tito Ortiz is out for UFC Fight night 24, Phil Davis is in. Tito “I’ll make another run at the title in 2011″ Ortiz is now singing a tune we’re all too familiar with. The “I’m hurt again” mambo. We’ll have to keep an eye to see if the “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” will see a W before his career finally ends…
- Brandon Vera gets 9th life back. With talks of Thiago Silva’s pending steroid tests there are talks of breathing life back into Brandon “The Truth” Vera’s UFC career. Should Silva test positive, Vera’s loss may be registered as a No Contest and he’d get yet another chance to put paddles to his Octagon career. I hope this time he can do it.
- Rich Franklin gets a Tattoo? Well, I’d like to say I’ve heard weirder things but this is definitely up there. After losing his fight to Forrest Griffin, rumors are that Franklin is taking their side bet seriously. Let’s all hope he picks an artist better than Alan Belcher.
Feels good to be back home and writing again. Did I miss anything else from last week?